Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Induction: Not the Devil's Work




Went to see Dr. Nanda yesterday and found that I am already dilated to 1cm. This news prompted me to finally muster up the key-honies to ask about induction. It turns out I can be induced at 38 weeks and 5 days, which is three weeks from yesterday!! I have decided that induction is right decision for me. I am waiting on a phone call from the hospital to get this puppy scheduled and get this kid on the ground. I am ready to go through newborn psychosis and start looking for a jobby job. I am surprised by the hostility this decision has inspired. When I tell people, they demand to know WHY I have chosen induction. I am already progressing naturally and I like the idea of having a scheduled time to go to the hospital and face the horror of childbirth. The date I have chosen is only 7 days prior to the child's due date and I could go in to labor early anyway. The reaction reminds me of when I sued to smoke menthol cigarettes and upon seeing the green Camel logo, 96% of people felt an overwhelming desire to ask if I knew they would crystalize my lungs??? Uh, yeah, I have heard that about 27 million times. The hostile response also make me wish to offer a HUGE APOLOGY to Jennie Lynn, whom I have terrorized with comments about how crazy she was for having Ells with no pain killers. I AM SORRY FOR MY HOSTILITY! Being on the receiving end sucks!! Back to the induction: I have read all about it, I have seen the Ricki Lake documentary, I know the pros and cons and I am cool with it. Hopping off the soapbox now...

This weekend I have a baby shower in San Antonio! I am going out of town one last time before I drop Elyse. Then, next weekend is my Houston shower. Then, it's GO TIME. I have taken photos of all of the fabulous shower invites that have gone out on Ely's behalf. My loved ones are so fabulous--no wonder I adore them.

1 comment:

Jennie ~ said...

Hahahahaha! No biggie! I WAS crazy to have that baby without drugs... Your decision is YOUR decision and the one that's right for YOU. Screw everyone else :)